Calling a macro in a MASTER_​​GDL file

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Parameter connections Calling a macro in a MASTER_​GDL file

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Péter Baksa 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Nick Rogers
    Participant

Is it possible to call a macro from a MASTER_GDL.gdl text file?

I’d like to return a string variable from a macro into a MASTER_GDL script to set a key for the Data IO add-on.

I had previously used the plan name request to construct the key, but that technique is no longer possible.

From our tests, a macro call can be included in the MASTER_GDL code without raising a syntax error, but the macro is not executed when called. It seems that the MASTER_GDL is run before the general library parts are loaded/linked in memory.

If it is not possible to call a macro from a MASTER_GDL.gdl text file, can a MASTER_GDL text file call a deterministic function in an add-on?

*PS Making the ‘Project Info’ parameters accessible as GDL Globals would be a great GDL feature. 😀

Péter Baksa
    Participant

Hi Nick,

this document says that MASTER_GDL is executed after loading the library.
    It says it can include GDL extension-specific commands. I tried with the DateTime add-on, that works. Macro calls are not listed though.

Péter Baksa
    Software Engineer, Library Team
    GRAPHISOFT SE

Nick Rogers
      Participant

Thanks Péter,

I have carefully read that document a number of times! 😀

Could you possibly check with the person responsible for maintaining the MASTER_GDL.gdl interpreter code whether not being able to call a ‘macro‘ from a MASTER_GDL is a feature or a bug?

We rely on passing a ‘shared’ string variable into a MASTER_GDL file. There is no way of passing a variable into a MASTER_GDL script in AC22 & AC23 if a macro cannot be called. 🤔

We could write an add-on to pass a variable into the script from the add-on, but I’d like to avoid it if possible.

Péter Baksa
    Participant

I will reply when I have an answer to that.
    Meanwhile could you describe why do you need this solution? Couldn’t a Library global work for you?

Péter Baksa
    Software Engineer, Library Team
    GRAPHISOFT SE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.