Gradient fill

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      John Hyland
      Participant

I notice the manual suggests gradient fills are possible [DEFINE LINEAR_GRADIENT_FILL]. But there are no explainations or examples how to implement. If any one has a simple example or tutorial it would be great.
      John

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi John,

The definition part is simple, the trick is in setting up the fill distortion. The transformation matrix used by poly2_b{3} is interpreted differently for gradient fills: the end coordinates of the axes should be given relative to the object origin, not the fill origin.

DEFINE LINEAR_GRADIENT_FILL "gradfill"
      fill "gradfill"

! fill origin
      OriginX = 0.5
      OriginY = 0.5
      ! pattern angle
      patternAngle = 30
      ! size
      patternSize = 0.5               ! length of gradient from fill pen to background pen

poly2_b{3} 4,                   ! # of edges
              1 + 2 + 4 + 8,          ! contour + fill + close polygon + local fill orientation
              1, 0,                   ! fill pen, fill background pen

OriginX,                                   OriginY,                                      ! fill origin
              OriginX + patternSize * cos(patternAngle), OriginX - patternSize * sin(patternAngle),    ! X of pattern axis X,   X of pattern axis Y
              OriginY + patternSize * sin(patternAngle), OriginY + patternSize * cos(patternAngle),    ! Y of pattern axis X,   Y of pattern axis Y

0, 0, 1,                ! vertices
              0, 1, 1, 
              1, 1, 1, 
              1, 0, 1

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

A few questions just for my understanding if I may.

1.) So there is no need to DEFINE the fill if you already have the gradient fill as an attribute?
      Just SET FILL “Linear Gradient Fill”.

After all you are not really defining a pattern for the fill.
      Every gradient fill you define is exactly the same as the others, just with a different name (and attribute number).
      It is all about using the correct options in the POLY2_B[3] command and setting the required pen colours.

2.) Why can we not see the gradient and radial fills when a fill parameter is created in the parameter list?
      But we can ‘SET FILL’ using those attributes by name in the script.
      It would be nice to be able to choose solid, vectorial, symbolic, image and gradient fills from a parameter.

3.)Is there a tricky way to set up graphical hotspots to adjust the settings?
      I can create hotspots to move the fill origin.

unID=1
      	!Stretchy x
      	HOTSPOT2 0, OriginY, unID, OriginX, 1+128 : unID=unID+1	!base
      	HOTSPOT2 -1, OriginY, unID, OriginX, 3 : unID=unID+1	!reference
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX, OriginY, unID, OriginX, 2 : unID=unID+1	!moveable

!Stretchy y
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX, 0, unID, OriginY, 1+128 : unID=unID+1	!base
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX, -1, unID, OriginY, 3 : unID=unID+1	!reference
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX, OriginY, unID, OriginY, 2 : unID=unID+1	!moveable

And I can add a hotspot to rotate the fill.

!angle stretchy hotspot
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX,OriginY,unID,patternAngle,6 : unID=unID+1																						!centre
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX+(patternSize),OriginY,unID,patternAngle,4+128 : unID=unID+1																	!base
      	HOTSPOT2 OriginX+COS(patternAngle-symb_rotangle)*(patternSize),OriginY+SIN(patternAngle-symb_rotangle)*(patternSize),unID,patternAngle,5 : unID=unID+1	!stretchy hotspot

But I can not make that rotational hotspot also stretch the pattern length.
      If I comment out the above rotation hotspot and add this, I can stretch the pattern length.

ADD2 OriginX, OriginY
      ROT2 patternAngle
      	!Stretchy gradientlength
      	HOTSPOT2 0, 0, unID, patternSize, 1+128 : unID=unID+1	!base
      	HOTSPOT2 0-1, 0, unID, patternSize, 3 : unID=unID+1	!reference
      	HOTSPOT2 0+patternSize, 0, unID, patternSize, 2 : unID=unID+1	!moveable
      DEL 1
      DEL 1

I guess what I am asking here, is there a way to combine the rotation hotspot with the pattern length?
      So we can have a stretchy rotation.
      Or will they have to be two separate hotspots?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi Barry,

1, as long as you know the name of the fill, no need to define it. But the default name is localized.
      2, I agree, it would be nice. But you would still have to do extra work in GDL to use them.
      3, I didn’t try if a rotational and a moveable hotspot can be linked like two moveable hotspots can.
      You could also try using a moveable hotspot for the origin, one moveable for the end of the radius, and doing the computations in the background with linked hidden parameters, showing angle/r instead of x/y in the tracker.

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Thanks Peter.
      I don’t think a rotational and moveable hotspot can be linked which is why I was asking.
      I will give your hidden calculations a go – I think that might be the only way.

Usually with something like this I would have one hotspot for the origin x & y, another for the length and a rotation one at half the length.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

John Hyland
      Participant

Thanks Péter
      and Barry keep us posted on progress.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Object design’ is closed to new topics and replies.