Graphical Editing in Section Markers

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Graphical editing Graphical Editing in Section Markers

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hello,
      I am adding “floating text” to a detail marker and a section marker. The floating text adds modifiers like SIM or OPP adjacent to the marker head. The position of the text is set by parameters and an editable hotspot. The detail marker is working as expected but I am having trouble with the section marker when it is configured a certain way.

The marker has the option of substituting a flag for one of the marker heads to create a wall section graphic common to north america. It does this by using SYMB_MIRRORED to detect the second running of the script and execute some alternate code in that case. Because of the way section markers operate you cannot simply mirror or rotate the object to achieve all required orientations. To solve that the marker has a Flip parameter which effectively reverses the order in which the main and alternate code is executed.

The floating text is working fine when the section marker is configured normally (two marker heads), and fine with the flag end when NOT flipped. But when flipped the text hotspot is no longer editable and the pet palette does not offer the Move Node button.

The attached image shows the three common configurations. The bottom (selected) instance is the one that fails. The second editable hotspot visible near the floating text is a “text switch” that allow the text parameter to be changed dynamically by sliding the hotspot left-right. This hotspot also fails in the flipped configuration.

I hope there is some way to reorder the script to prevent the choking. Please find the object uploaded here for your examination.

James Murray has been an invaluable adviser in this effort. The text switch is his baby.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Geoff,

It seems to be a bug in ARCHICAD, I’ll add it to our bug database. While testing it, I found a “dirty hack” as workaroud: if I add the same amount of hotspots in the same order to both the mirrored and normal sides, then all the hotspots starts to work normally. To reach this, I added the len and thk values as params, and created editable hotspots to the block side of your objects, and commented out all non-editable hotspots from your script. I also commented the text type editing hotspot – so I only had 2 editable hotspots on both sides. I hope it helps a bit.

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hi Gergely,
      I think I may have tried something similar. Can you upload your mods for me to examine? Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Here is my version – with 3 added editable hotspots for the else branch, and eliminated all other hotspots. I also added 2 length type parameters for the and len.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hi Gergely,
      thank you for your help. The marker works great now. The extra editable hotspots are acceptable.

Just to be clear, having the same number of editable hotspots at the ELSE end makes the first two work, even if they control different parameters. Is that correct?

I am thinking of adding a rotating hotspot at the center of the marker line to toggle the Flip parameter. If I do that will I will need another dummy hotspot at the ELSE end?

Thanks again, cheers.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hi Gergely,
      I have added another editable hotspot to the marker and so need to continue the workaround of adding hotspots to the ELSE end. I do not understand the logic of what is needed. I found one location that works but the hotspot is out in space. Other locations cause my main hotspots to fail. I’d like it to reside somewhere within the “tail” polygon. I’ve attached a MOD so you can see it configured in a way that shows all the editable hotspots. Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Peter Nagy-Barta
      Participant

Hi, we investigated the issue further:
      The same amount of hotspots are necessary on both sides, and in addition, the flags have to be the same as well.
      Attached is a test marker containing a ”good” and a ”bad” solution, you can switch between them with a parameter.

Peter Nagy-Barta
      Library Developer, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hi Peter,
      I am not seeing any difference in behavior between the two modes in your test object. Maybe I am missing something.

Either way the matching hotspot requirement is a bug. What is the possibility that this can be fixed for AC20?

Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Peter Nagy-Barta
      Participant

Hi Geoff,
      With my marker object if you switch to “Wrong mode” in normal (not mirrored) case the No.23 Hotspot will not work and in mirrored case the No.33 Hotspot will also not work.
      The difference in the two modes is that in “Wrong Mode” the hotspot flags are different on the sides, in “Good Mode” the flags are the same.

I hope it will help more now.

Peter Nagy-Barta
      Library Developer, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

OK, I’ll take a closer look. I’ve got my section marker working, finally found a hotspot combo that worked both ways. But again this a bug that needs to be fixed. Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hello gentlemen,
      I am fighting this bug again. I made some changes to my section marker, which had extra hotspots added as a work-around. After the (unrelated) changes it broke with the usual symptom where some of my editable hotspots stopped working. I tried many options of fake hotspots until I found a solution, which uses only one fake where before I needed three. So the rule of needing the same number at each end is not correct. But my fake hotspot can only be in certain locations to work–the movable HS needs to be in a negative quadrant. If either X or Y have a positive value it fails.

Copy of the marker attached.

All my new work is in AC20, so it’s obvious that the bug has not been fixed. Maybe for AC21?

Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Geoff,
      Sorry for the problems, but I can’t predict when we can correct this bug. Besides the previous workaround, I don’t have any ideas how to avoid it in GDL.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Ok, thanks Gergely. At least I have reduced the number of bogus hotspots to one.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

J. J. Chen
      Participant

Is there any detail marker with floating text (sim / opp) that used on plan that someone can share?

Bruce Walker
      Participant

This is the fourth such custom marker I have seen (with a tail, and text outside the marker head). I wonder if GS can adjust their standard marker to do this?

www.brucepwalker.com
      https://www.mindmeister.com/65450406

AC20 6005 AUS Full & AC 21 3009 NZE Full | Win 10 Pro 64 | Intel i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz | 16 Gb RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 8Mb

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Graphical editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.