Is there a way to query all Library Part names in the loaded Libraries?

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Informations from the environment Is there a way to query all Library Part names in the loaded Libraries?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony Krepler
      Participant

I might be missing something, but I cannot seem to find such query, although I thought it was possible.

Thanks,

Tony Krepler
      fjmt

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

There is an application query for image files and ies files. Listing the whole library seems to be a bit useless, as normally there are thousands of libparts loaded. Why do you need that?

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Tony Krepler
      Participant

Thanks Gergely. I know about the image query, thanks.
      I am calling Graphisoft chairs from our Library, and with the current version of our Library there is either the ArchiCAD Library 18 or the 19 loaded with it. Thought I can make it smart – not a biggie though, and our Library is under update anyway.
      Thought I’s still ask. Thanks anyway.
      (How about the Project Info queries – another post from me)

Cheers,

Tony

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Tony,
      You should not call our chairs from your library – as the chairs are placeable objects. Please never use placeable elements as macros, it can cause many problems.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Tony,
      Please never use placeable elements as macros, it can cause many problems.

Such as?
      I do this all the time and have not noticed any problems so far.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

There will be failures in case of library updates or migrating to new versions – when parametrization of a libpart can change. Pla saving can be wrong too – you won’t be able to use your pla in an upcoming version if the called library part is migrated.
      If you need one of our placeable library parts as a macro, then you should open it with the editor and save as a macro (not placeable) with a new name. Then you can use it in your libraries.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
        Participant

We don’t rarely use the Graphisoft libraries as we have our own custom library that suits our needs better.
        I certainly would not call objects/macros in your libraries as I am aware they can change without me knowing what has changed.

I am just getting into migrating objects this last week actually and have spotted the possible problem of migrating objects called by other objects.
        But I am hoping that if I keep the original names then the call will still work.
        I am aware that migrating an object with a new name is probably a more logical way to keep track of them but I am hoping keeping the same name solves the ‘CALL’ problem.
        Obviously there will be problems if parameters have changed in the called object but that would apply if calling a place-able object or a macro. So I just have to be careful to update any called parameters in the master objects as well.
        The biggest problem I am having at the moment is remembering/finding all the objects that call other objects/macros that I want to amend/migrate.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
        Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
        Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Gergely Fehér
          Keymaster

Keeping the name does not resolve the problem with migration. Called macros are stored with their ids, so they won’t work with changed elements until you resave them. I suggest to always use the source format of the libraries where you can easily search for callers of a macro.

Gergely Fehér
          GRAPHISOFT SE

Tony Krepler
      Participant

Thanks Gergely very true, should not have done that. One of the “quick and dirty solutions, that worked beautifully. Should never use Graphisoft parts 😉 If it makes things any better, I always felt bad about it. 😉
      The fact is, that if you take the chair, you need to re-save all it’s macros as well, and I was putting it off.

On the other hand, I was always wondering how can ArchiCAD remember the ID of the macro, as all you can see is the name in the script.
      I know it might be a different topic, but how do you resolve a situation, where you have duplicate macros, without re-saving them and going through every script that is calling them?

Thanks,

Tony Krepler
      fjmt

Tony Krepler
      Participant

And , one more thing. When you use the Graphisoft chair – as long as it works(!), you get the new features for free. Whereas if you re-save it (and its macros) to be “your own”, you have to do it with every new version (if you want to stay up to date) and you might need to fiddle with migration scripts etc.
      You’re right Barry, never use any Graphisoft stuff. 😉

Cheers,

Tony

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Informations from the environment’ is closed to new topics and replies.