Issue with label and surface override

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Documentation elements, text handling Issue with label and surface override

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      David Shorter
      Participant

here is a simple 2D script for a label.

nSURFACE=0
      name_string=””
      nSURFACE=WALL_MAT_A
      REQUEST (“Name_of_material”, nSURFACE, name_string)
      TEXT2 0,0,NAME_STRING

When attached to a wallet is supposed to report the outside surface of the wall.
      So far so good.
      If the outside surface is overwritten it reports the new surface correctly but the does not update the dialogue.
      See attached

Attachments:
      Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi,

“but the does not update the dialogue” – what do you mean with this? What result do you expect?

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Peter
      If you look at the upper part of the attachment the name “A001:Brickwork Face” appears but this is the override surface not the surface of the Building Material. The building material surface is correctly reported in the label text.
      This same name tends to be reported in in a new wall.

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Hi Peter
      If you look at the upper part of the attachment the name “A001:Brickwork Face” appears but this is the override surface not the surface of the Building Material. The building material surface is correctly reported in the label text.

That is correct.
      The greyed out text is what the surface would be if the override was turned on.
      When the override is not turned on, it doesn’t show the actual building material surface – which maybe it should?
      Is that the problem here?
      The label should always be correct.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Barry
      Yes
      and the problem is that the label whilst it maybe correct the user doesn’t know because the dialogue is not correct. Somehow the cache is in the label because attaching the label a new wall will ‘sometimes’ show an override ‘ghost’ which has never been used with that wall.
      driving me crazy

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi David,

The dialog is correct, this is how AC works. Greyed settings don’t reflect the current state of the object, they show what will happen when the override is enabled. For example complex profile walls can have more than three different surfaces, composite wall edges can have more than one surface.

New walls will get the tool default settings, including surface overrides. Could you describe the workflow to get the “ghost” that is not correct?

Péter Baksa
      GRAPHISOFT SE

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Peter
      But this is so wrong. It means that once an override is made that it’s impossible to know which surface is being used.
      When the button next to the surface is NOT pressed then the surface name displayed should be the default or NON overwritten surface. It’s just not logical to display the wrong name. I appreciate this is really outside the scope of this forum but appreciate you help in resolving this issue.
      Thanks
      David

Barry Kelly
      Participant

I have never really liked the fact that the surface name is greyed out and you can actually see what is the ‘wrong’ surface.
      But I know that it is then using the building material surface – but as David says you can’t see what this is.
      It would be nice if it could show this or maybe not show anything at all until the override button is pressed.

Some people still don’t even realise that is an override button.

Yes, complex profiles complicate it even more as it could be the building material used for the fill (not to mention there could be more than one fill on that surface), an overridden edge surface of the fill or the actual override of the entire wall itself.
      Which is why I think it should be blank until the override button is pressed, and then it shows just the override surface.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

David Shorter
      Participant

Hmmm disagree with you on that point Barry.
      When the override button is pressed it should show the override.
      When the override button is not pressed it should show the BM surface.
      This is logical and shows the surface visible in 3D, anything else is not logical.

Barry Kelly
      Participant

When the override button is pressed it should show the override.
      When the override button is not pressed it should show the BM surface.

Isn’t that what I said?
      I would like it to show the BM or nothing at all(if that is not possible) if the override is not pressed.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Barry
      Yes it was except that it was the “or nothing” which I felt was wrong otherwise all 3 no override buttons should show nothing which is IMHO not logical. If not pressed it should show the BM surface as its the only place where we can see the surfaces of the wall.
      regards
      David

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi,

This forum is only read by a few GDL programmers. If you need official GS response on this issue, please communicate your ideas directly to support. If you want to discuss it with a broader range of users, take it to the AC-talk forum.

Péter Baksa
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Documentation elements, text handling’ is closed to new topics and replies.