Labeling elements in ArchiCad 19

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL 3D modelling Labeling elements in ArchiCad 19

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel Virtic
      Participant

Hello everyone.

Is there a way to place an ArchiCad element, such as wall, slab, beam, etc. to come labeled as default, using one particular label type?

I think that in this way I can avoid, spending time with selecting elements and label them manually.

Will be nice if I choose from favorites tool a wall, to come labeled as default with a custom label I can create.
      I noticed that this option, could be achieved in previous Versions of ArchiCad.

Gergely Hari

Hi,

this type of automatic labeling has been removed from v19 with the introduction of multiple labels per element. While it made some sense to have an option whether an element has a label or not, with multiple labels it would be very complicated, to set “how many labels does this element have, where they are, how do they look, etc.” from the element settings.

Besides, the elements should exist from the early design phase, while labeling elements in most cases only takes place once the design has already settled – so they seldom get created at the same time.

Nevertheless, in v19 we’ve also introduced a function that can place a label on multiple elements with a single click. By default you can find it under Document / Document Extras / Label Selected Elements. This is in a way even easier than the previous method, because it can place labels on different types of elements at the same time (while in previous versions, you had to do it separately for each element type).

Whether to re-introduce an option to label elements upon creation is still under debate. But we believe that automatically labeling all elements is just as problematic as labeling none – you’ll either have to keep deleting unnecessary labels, or keep switching the auto-labeling on/off. The most flexible solution still is to select everything you want labeled, and label them with a single command.

Daniel Virtic
      Participant

“The most flexible solution still is to select everything you want labeled, and label them with a single command.”

Agree with you, but let’s say I am on a view which has a layer combination, and I can’t label elements which are on hidden layer.
      So I have to open those layers, or to go on other views where the layer combination permit to see them. Which means I’ve to do that “one click for labeling, for
      several times.

Other thing is, I need to label elements with a custom label I’ve created, in order to schedule custom parameters from them (for example a rounded wall height, etc). These elements can be visible only in 3D maybe, or depends how the floor cut plane is set and that’s why I think that previous option for an element to come with label will be nice to have it back.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the new solution.

Hope to understand what I’ve wrote.

Thank you

Gergely Hari

I understand your use of a label, but that is a – known, and for lack of a better solution, accepted – workaround. Normally, it is natural for a label to visible at the time of placement – you would want to see the results instantly, whether they need adjusting or not.

If you are attaching labels to elements for the sole purpose of calculating values, then – at least theoretically – that label should not be a label at all. Practically of course, that’s still the only current way to achieve custom calculated values in schedules, so scheduling labels is still allowed – however counterintuitive that approach is.
      The proper solution would be a dedicated calculation object (not a label), that is attached to the element and does the calculations when requested, but not necessarily having any visible symbol on plan. Something like property objects, but available for all outputs (schedules, labels, IFC, you name it). Alas that’s a topic for an unknown future version of ArchiCAD – but because we hope to focus on the correct approach sometime, we’re not planning to improve the existing, dead-end workaround.

Cheers,
      Greg

Daniel Virtic
      Participant

Correct,
      Also will be nice, that we to be able to insert formula between parameters in the schedule.

Thank you

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘3D modelling’ is closed to new topics and replies.