Performance issue with Custom Labels

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Documentation elements, text handling Performance issue with Custom Labels

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Denny Wong 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Denny Wong
    Participant

Hi all,

I am working on a labelling system that uses a single macro across Zone Stamps, Door labels, Window Labels and generic Labels attached to objects. So far it is working very well, except that I have a performance issue with the generic Labels. Whenever I grab one of the editable hotspots or even just move the label, i.e. during GLOB_FEEDBACK_MODE, it becomes so tediously slow that I can’t effectively work on my project.

This curiously however, does not happen with the Zones, Doors and Windows, even if they are just the same empty shells doing a “call ‘my_label.gsm’ parameters all” from the Master Script.

For your information:
    – I have a GLOB_FEEDBACK_MODE set in the label, drawing a single rect2 based on TEXTBLOCK_INFOs.
    – my labels are attached to walls, showing 1x IFC Property and 2x Wall parameters.
    – We are still on AC19, OSX.

My feeling is that AC is caching the 2D symbols of all the zone/door/wido stamps but not the labels, meaning that it gets redrawn a million times whenever I try to move it…?

I can provide a PLA if that helps.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Denny

Bond Bryan Architects, Westerham, UK

Denny Wong
    Participant

I have come to the realisation that it is when the labels associate with Walls that have this problem. If I ping the same label at a Window, it will behave just fine.

Piotr Dobrowolski
    Participant

This became way better since AC 20 (AFIR) (I had some project that was very slow because of many associative labels in 19…while I opened it by accident in newer version it worked better)
    To check just open the project for testing even without library migration in 22 – maybe that would be the argument for migrating up at least the latest projects.
    (I know the drawbacks in GDL, but there are also good points there)

Piotr

Denny Wong
    Participant

Many thanks Piotr, that’s a relief to know as trying to troubleshoot this is driving me nuts.

The wait for the office upgrade continues….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.