Text variables longer than 250 characters (V18)

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Documentation elements, text handling Text variables longer than 250 characters (V18)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      antoine JULLIEN
      Participant

HI, Text variables are blocked at 250 characters.
      My object descriptions are longer
      How to avoid this blocking?

Tonio

Dominika Bobály
      Keymaster

Break the texts into shorter pieces and store them in a text array. The limit of 255 characters/variable is hardcoded in the program, but you can workaround it this way. If you have a variable “_stText” for example, which has exceeded the limit, break it to 2 variables (or an array):

_stText1 = "asldgdjsasdgjsardjg..." !fill it up to 255 characters
      _stText2 = "puoizpiweuztrjlasfkjrgsjhlktfspriwrute"
      text2 0, 0, _stText1 + _stText2

The program can handle concatenated strings in display longer than 255 characters, but you have to take care of the slicing.

Dominika Bobály
      Product Manager
      GRAPHISOFT SE

antoine JULLIEN
      Participant

Hi thanks for your answer, but I can’t use it in a variable parameters.
      I need to add long description for my objects (more than 250 carac.).
      have you got other solution for long description in a variable parameters ?

Tonio

Dominika Bobály
        Keymaster

Not really, if you insist on using one parameter only.
        Either create more parameters for the listing, with similar type of content, and use those parameters in schedule in separate columns. Or you can use the “Info” script of the object (it is called “Comment” in the GDL editor) – this can not be listed, but if you hit the info icon next to the object preview in the settings window, the text is visible in a popup.
        In AC20 properties were introduced, where you can create custom property parameters (with “unlimited” content as string), and link them to your objects. Property parameters can be listed.

Dominika Bobály
        Product Manager
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Robert Horvath
      Participant

Use the IFC properties in 18. You can concatenating the gdl variables with the <Mapping rules> in IFC scheme setup.

Robert

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Documentation elements, text handling’ is closed to new topics and replies.