Trying to understand autoscripted groups

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Others Trying to understand autoscripted groups

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      James Murray
      Participant

As an experiment, I saved a single slab as an object and examined the autoscript. There are a lot of group commands, and I did find and replace to give them human-readable names. The now legible structure was surprising:

The geometry is in Group A. Group B is defined as placing Group A. Group C is defined as placing Group A as well. Then Group B is killed without placing it. Group D is defined as placing Group C. Then A and C are killed. Finally Group D is placed, then killed.

None of this is needed since there are no operations. I understand that the autoscript routines must be ready for anything a user might save as an object, but this seems excessive and strange! It’s mostly my curiosity, but can you tell me anything about the reasoning behind this?

James M

Piotr Dobrowolski
      Participant

If You know what is modelled (know IDs and so on) and just borrow the code: You can safely remove the group commands and all initial coordinates translations (+ del’s accoordingly)

Piotr

James Murray
      Participant

I don’t have any trouble understanding how to handle the code. I’m curious about the process.

James M

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

The script is written by code that is prepared to handle SEO operations and keep the correct volume and surface of the model. A simple slab doesn’t have SEO operations on its own, but the GDL script is not optimized.

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new topics and replies.