Trying to understand autoscripted groups

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Others Trying to understand autoscripted groups

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Péter Baksa 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

James Murray
    Participant

As an experiment, I saved a single slab as an object and examined the autoscript. There are a lot of group commands, and I did find and replace to give them human-readable names. The now legible structure was surprising:

The geometry is in Group A. Group B is defined as placing Group A. Group C is defined as placing Group A as well. Then Group B is killed without placing it. Group D is defined as placing Group C. Then A and C are killed. Finally Group D is placed, then killed.

None of this is needed since there are no operations. I understand that the autoscript routines must be ready for anything a user might save as an object, but this seems excessive and strange! It’s mostly my curiosity, but can you tell me anything about the reasoning behind this?

Piotr Dobrowolski
    Participant

If You know what is modelled (know IDs and so on) and just borrow the code: You can safely remove the group commands and all initial coordinates translations (+ del’s accoordingly)

Piotr

James Murray
    Participant

I don’t have any trouble understanding how to handle the code. I’m curious about the process.

Péter Baksa
    Participant

The script is written by code that is prepared to handle SEO operations and keep the correct volume and surface of the model. A simple slab doesn’t have SEO operations on its own, but the GDL script is not optimized.

Péter Baksa
    Software Engineer, Library Team
    GRAPHISOFT SE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.