Using updated parameters in properties script

Home Forums General discussions Using updated parameters in properties script

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Andrews
      Participant

I would like to create a number in the 3d script for use as a quantity in the properties script.

Currently I’ve created a parameter of length type and I give it a new value using the parameters command in the 3d script

parameters totalBattenLength = totalBattenLength + ZZYZX

I then reference the totalBattenLength parameter in the properties script

COMPONENT "batten", totalBattenLength, "m"

However in the component list, the length for batten is always zero.

How do I update this value properly?

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Matt
      Not sure what you are actually trying to do. What sort of object are you trying to create?
      Probably it would be easier to create a property and achieve totals when you SCHEDULE.
      Usually the ‘update’ occurs when you schedule.
      Provide a bit more info and we will try and help

Barry Kelly
      Participant

You can’t set parameter values in the 3D script.
      This can only be done in the parameter and master scripts.

You can change a parameter value in the 3D script, but it will only be available from that point in the 3D script only.
      It can not be used in any of the other scripts.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Matt Andrews
      Participant

I’m trying to create objects for a prefab building system.

The objects represent elements of the system which are wall, floor and roof.

The wall elements have battens, moisture membranes, etc. I’ve now added those components via the components list within the object. I’d like to update their quantities when the objects are resized or options are changed.

For example, the wall object can have battens on the inside, outside or both. It seems like the best way to calculate the quantities of the battens is when they’re being drawn as then you can update some number every time you draw a new batten. However it seems like there is no way to share variables between scripts.

I’m looking for some way of sharing varibales or parameters between scripts that can then be accessed by the component list.

Is this the correct approach, or is this not possible?

David Shorter
      Participant

its possible but I think you are approaching it the wrong way. Do you have any ARCHICAD files you could post to illustrate what you have done or what you are trying to do.

Matt Andrews
      Participant

I’ve attached the object I’ve started working on.

AS you’ll see, I’m trying to have horizontal or vertical battens and be able to measure the length of all battens in the object.

David Shorter
      Participant

Hi Matt
      No attachment? or at least I cant see it
      pls send to david.shorter@internode.on.net

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.