VARTYPE issues

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

I have issues in the following Script in AC 21:
      When I uncomment one of the commented lines, I get different error messages in each case.
      Because the values of the variables myText1 and myText2 are coming from a Textimport by INPUT,
      their variable type is not known. But the types must be known to get the Strings lenght in case of numbers
      and to be able to add the variable str_TEXT_trenner to build a String expression.
      Any help?

str_TEXT_trenner = ” – ”

DEFINE STYLE “textfeld_stil_2” “Arial”, 0.25, 1, 0
      SET STYLE “textfeld_stil_2”

myText1 = “Textinhalt”
      IF VARTYPE(myText1) = 2 THEN Text_Inhalt1 = myText1 + str_TEXT_trenner ! STRING
      ! IF VARTYPE(myText1) = 1 THEN Text_Inhalt1 = STR(myText1, 1, 0) + str_TEXT_trenner ! NUMBER

myText2 = 23
      ! IF VARTYPE(myText2) = 2 THEN Text_Inhalt2 = myText2 + str_TEXT_trenner ! STRING
      IF VARTYPE(myText2) = 1 THEN Text_Inhalt2 = STR(myText2, 1, 0) + str_TEXT_trenner ! NUMBER

feldbreite_1 = STW(Text_Inhalt1)/1000*A_
      feldbreite_2 = STW(Text_Inhalt2)/1000*A_

TEXT2 0, 0, Text_Inhalt1
      TEXT2 0, -0.1, Text_Inhalt2

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Denny Wong
      Participant

hi Joachim, sharing your pain here. In fact this is a very old problem when the GDL interpreter make assumptions of what types the varilables are PRIOR to execution and over-zealously stop the script even if the problem was avoided by vartype conditions.

In my experience this gets a LOT worse when the variable in question is an array received from RETURNED_PARAMETERS, LIBRARY_GLOBAL and file operations. I see that GS themselves would give the first element of each array an arbitrary value immediately after dimensioning, so that the interpreter will pick up the vartype. However this does not work all the time. I cannot consistently work out when it works and when it doens’t – seems sporadic.

Bond Bryan Architects, Westerham, UK

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Hi,

It is caused by the bad design of the STR command, which can not be corrected, due to compatibility issues. Sorry, but I can’t help with a quick fix or a real workaround. Maybe you can try with usign spit command, but I’m really sure that can fit all the workflows you need.

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Documentation elements, text handling’ is closed to new topics and replies.