What is the proper replacement for GLOB_​​CONTEXT=1?

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Informations from the environment What is the proper replacement for GLOB_​CONTEXT=1?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      James Murray
      Participant

I can’t figure out the right combination of Script Type, View Type, and Preview Mode to describe the situation being being in the library part editor.

James M

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

There is no replacement for that, GDL Editor’s context can not be described with the new globals. Can you tell me a situation why do you need that?

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

James Murray
      Participant

I found a workaround for the specific case. I was trying to define an array based on the wall skins data, while in the script there was currently 0 skins, which the DIM didn’t like. Turned out I didn’t need the array anyway. So I’ll file this one for now, thank you for the info.

James M

Barry Kelly
      Participant

I use it to check settings in existing objects and modify them to new values then set a ‘flag’ parameter to say it has been done so it does not get checked again.
      I don’t want this to happen in the GDL editor as I need to save the object with the ‘flag’ parameter set to 0 so I filter that with GLOB_CONTEXT <> 1.
      This way it does not reset in the GDL editor but only when the object scripts are run in the model.

!!set page type for existing objects so they don't default to wrong object
      if GLOB_CONTEXT <> 1 then
      	if flag = 0 then
      		if category = "LIGHTING" then
      			if ind_objects = "MOTION SENSOR" then
      				page_type = "SUPERSEDED"
      			else
      				page_type = "LIGHTING"
      			endif
      		endif
      		if category = "POWER" then
      			page_type = "POWER"
      		endif
      		if category = "DATA & SECURITY" then
      			if ind_objects = "NX4 ALARM PANEL" then
      				page_type = "SUPERSEDED"
      			else
      				page_type = "DATA & SECURITY"
      			endif
      		endif
      		if category = "TELSTRA VELOCITY" then
      			if STRSTR(ind_objects, "TELSTRA VELOCITY") > 0 then
      				page_type = "SUPERSEDED"
      			endif
      		endif
      		PARAMETERS page_type = page_type
      		flag = 1
      		PARAMETERS flag = flag
      	endif
      endif

A similar situation was posted here in Archicad Talk … https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50571

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Gergely Fehér
        Keymaster

I think that a separate context for the editor is not needed: in your example the “flag” parameter should be deleted. It is a much better solution to use the source format of library parts, and modify parameter defaults with the lp_xmlconverter, during the library compilation. In this case, you should force your category parameters default to an empty string with a replacement definition file, and check that value instead of having one more parameter for checking if the default is set.

Gergely Fehér
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Gergely but I really didn’t understand it.
      I have never used the lp_xmlconverter.
      It is not a case of updating the actual library part.
      What I am trying to do is trap an actual object instance in a plan.
      If it has a certain parameter then swap that.
      I only want to check it once which is why the flag parameter gets reset.
      If I don’t have the GLOB_CONTEXT <> 1 then the flag will reset in the script editor which I don’t want.
      It needs to be off and only reset when I am not editing the script.

Not sure if that explains it any clearer.
      Basically I need to trap (or exclude) when I am in the GDL editor.
      How do I do that without GLOB_CONTEXT.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Barry,

There is no solution for that without the GLOB_CONTEXT in the GDL editor. That’s why I told you about the other solution, with the lp_xmlconverter. Use it, it’s a great tool for developers, many things are much easier with it.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Goodsell
      Participant

Gergely

I don’t know about anyone else but to me, this ‘no solution’ answer is the exact reason these changes to GDL are not good enough!!!
      Barry’s objects are VERY intelligent and have been developed over many years and in one foul swoop, that intelligence is taken away.
      And the reasoning of teamwork display outputs varying per user is the weakest excuse I’ve heard in many years!

Gergely Fehér
        Keymaster

Kristian,

I said there is no solution in GDL Editor, it is true. But for this problem, there is a much better, safer solution with using the lpxmlconverter. Setting the defaults for a complex library should be always done from source, professional GDL development can not be done without that, sorry. You simply do not have enough control on your objects without the source format and the checking/finalizing functions of the converter.

Gergely Fehér
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Goodsell
          Participant

Gergely

I understand that it can be done xml but that only makes me think that the GDL Editor is the broken link not glob_context. GDL is Graphisoft’s own programing language, does it not make sense to provide professional level development tools within the editor designed to edit them?

Barry Kelly
      Participant

I don’t know that the lpxmlconverter will help me with objects already placed in my plans.
      Yes it will help me convert from one version to another and maybe even add parameters to an object – I really don’t understand what it does.
      But I am sure it will not detect the settings of a parameter that has been placed in a file and then set another parameter based on the settings.

I have attached a PDF that has images through it to try and explain my problem better.
      Easier than to add individual attachments.

Please let me know if what I describe can be done with lpxmlconverter.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Ben Cohen
        Participant

Hi Barry

This is not really an answer to your glob_context issue. But..

You really need to look at the migration scripts. This is the answer to your problem. With the migration script you can determine the value of that redundant parameter and then set your new hotspot parameter accordingly. Its very very powerful. HTH

Barry Kelly
          Participant

Yes I was thinking the same thing.
          I have had a look at the manual and it hasn’t sunk in yet how it needs to be scripted.
          Looking at examples in the GS library just confused n=me even more.

Does anyone have a very simple example of migrating one object to another and setting new parameters based on the values of old object parameters?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Ben Cohen
          Participant

I have used this to migrate a GPO
          You have to set the GUID’s in the migration section of the GDL editor

actualGuid = FROM_GUID

! ==============================================================================
          ! Defined new parameters in migration
          ! ==============================================================================

! electrical Different  - (AC13 --> AC15)

if actualGuid = "3E6E2AC8-F1D9-4358-A538-5380B32D7718" or actualGuid = "24B2609D-DF7D-304B-9BD8-DEFB38036FFC" then

actualGuid = "1498DFCB-525E-F74B-B986-1FFCDF5531AA"
          		if type_gpo = 'Skirting Ht' then PARAMETERS skirting_ht = ZZYZX

IF STRSUB(leg_nameTemp,STRLEN(leg_nameTemp)-6,7) = '250 AFL' then
          			parameters skirting_ht = .3
          			parameters ZZYZX = .3
          			parameters std_leg_name = 1
          		endif

endif

! Set migration GUID

SETMIGRATIONGUID actualGUID

MIGRATIONWARNING 'note this is migrated forward'
          Barry Kelly
          Participant

Thanks Ben.
          I’ll have to sit down and give it a shot.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Kristian Bursell
      Participant

I tend to agree with Kristian and Barry. I am fortunate that I have not used the process Barry describes but it is quite clever and I definitely see the need for it. There are certain modifications i just don’t make because of the damage they would cause to placed objects. It is such a shame that GS has removed this possibility.
      I was a bit concerned about the functions I do use glob_context for but fortunately you have replaced them with the Glob Execution Contexts. I think you should add the Glob_Context = 1 into this new list

CADSWIFT
      Australia

James Murray
      Participant

Here’s one from working on curved windows:

!otherwise you get div0
      IF GLOB_CONTEXT=1 OR GLOB_CONTEXT=5 THEN
      	WOD=-4'
      ELSE
      	WOD=WIDO_ORIG_DIST
      ENDIF
      hA=A/2
      !half of included angle
      hNg=ATN(hA/ABS(WOD))

James M

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Try this way:

EPS = 0.0001
      ha = A/s    ! if it is needed later in the script - if not, then move in the "if" below
      bCurvedWall = abs(WIDO_ORIG_DIST) > EPS   ! later it can be used to determine 
      if bCurvedWall then
          hNg = ATN (hA / abs(WIDO_ORIG_DIST))
      endif

Later in the script you can easily separate the parts corresponding to curved walls with the bCurvedWall variable. It’s much better separating working methods by their original purpose, than mixing up context with them.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

This has just cropped up again in ArchicadTalk … https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=53078

I was having a bit of a play again and noticed if ‘GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2’ is used (in master or parameter script) then whatever script is run after that command will run while in the library part editor.
      For example …
      IF GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2 THEN !do only in 2D
      IF firstRun = 0 THEN !parameter that allow to run code only once
      parameters firstRun = 1 !prevents running code again
      ENDIF
      ENDIF

So if there is a boolean parameter in the parameter list called ‘firstRun’ then it is automatically set to ‘1’ and you can’t manually change it.

If you alter the script to … IF GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 3
      or any other value then it is not run and you can manually change the parameter.

Is this a bug that GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2 is ignored while in the library part editor? – seeing as technically it is not a 2D view and this part of the script should be ignored.
      Just as it is ignored if GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 3 (or any other value) is used.
      Just finding it hard to see any logic here.

To test this I used this code in the master script.

IF GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2 THEN         !do only in 2D 
            IF firstRun = 0 THEN            !parameter that allow to run code only once 
               parameters firstRun = 1   !prevents running code again 
            ENDIF 

!SET STYLE "switch"
      	!!! ---------- show Selector hotspot----------
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot2 0, 0    , HSID, firstRun, 1    ! base
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot2 0,0-1    , HSID, firstRun, 3    ! ref
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot2 0, firstRun, HSID, firstRun, 2    ! moving
      		HSID=HSID+1     

TEXT2 0,0,firstRun 

ENDIF 

IF GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 3 THEN         !do only in 2D 
            IF firstRun = 0 THEN            !parameter that allow to run code only once 
               parameters firstRun = 1   !prevents running code again 
            ENDIF 

!SET STYLE "switch"
      	!!! ---------- show Selector hotspot----------
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot 0, 0,0    , HSID, firstRun, 1    ! base
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot 0,0-1,0    , HSID, firstRun, 3    ! ref
      		HSID=HSID+1
      		hotspot 0, firstRun,0, HSID, firstRun, 2    ! moving
      		HSID=HSID+1     

DEFINE STYLE "text" "Arial", 150, 5, 0
      	SET STYLE "text"
      	TEXT 0.001,0,firstRun 

ENDIF 

The hotspots in 2D and 3D views allow me to adjust the value.
      So that is working fine.
      However in the object settings dialogue the parameter can not be altered and it the script editor it can not be altered either unless I comment out the section for ‘GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2’

I hope I have explained this problem OK.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

GLOB_VIEW_TYPE should not be used in parameter script (and in master when it runs as paramscript) – as it is a view dependent variable.

Gergely Fehér
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Thanks Gergely.
      I think it is finally sinking in that GLOB_VIEW_TYPE will have a default of ‘2’ which is why the ‘if GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2 then …’ set ‘firstRun = 1’ but the ‘if GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 3 then …’ doesn’t (because it actually equals’2′ not 3).

I think that is what keeps confusing me – not that the command no longer works but that it has a default value that can make it appear that it is working in some circumstances.

But I guess I am desperately after a way to have a parameter not be set while in the library part editor – i.e. the old ‘GLOB_CONTEXT = 5’ which now of course doesn’t work.
      So I am looking for anything that will work and am clutching at straws.
      I thought I might be on a winner her but no I wasn’t.

There is a solution for me and it requires migration of the objects.
      It works fine, just more involved to get it working.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Barry Kelly
        Participant

I meant to say ‘GLOB_CONTEXT = 1’ not 5…

But I guess I am desperately after a way to have a parameter not be set while in the library part editor – i.e. the old ‘GLOB_CONTEXT = 1’ which now of course doesn’t work.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Christopher Sheehy
      Participant

Hi Barry,

I am also facing your issue, I have been speaking with Gergely re: this issue and the thought is maybe in version 21. Graphisoft will create a do not run parameters option for a GDL object.

Until then though I am using a workaround which may work for you:
      in the parameters place “AC_ProgramVersion” integer; set to “0”. then in the parameters script you can put
      if AC_ProgramVersion > 0 then

endif

ArchiCAD places the current version number of the software in the parameters when it has been placed.

Hope this helps.

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Thanks Christoper,
      So the value will always be ‘0’ in the GDL editor and an actual value when the object is placed in the model.
      This would work and I will keep it in mind if I need it in future.
      For now I have solved most of my issues by migrating to newer objects and swapping the parameters as necessary that way.

We have GLOB_VIEW_TYPE values of 2 to 9 – why couldn’t we have a value of ‘1’ I wonder for the library part editor?
      There must be a reason why not.

GLOB_CONTEXT while deprecated (and no longer listed in the GDL reference) still seems to work (in 2D and 3D scripts) and in Master script as long as it is not trying to set as a parameter.
      I hope this will still be the case as I have many hundreds of objects that use it many times in 2D & 3D scripts.
      Maybe Gergely can confirm if this OK or will GLOB_CONTEXT just not work at all in future versions?
      I have managed to eliminate it from all of my Master scripts but would hate having to go through all the 2D & 3D scripts to fix the problems.
      I notice there are still version 20 objects using it so I am hoping it is safe to continue with it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Informations from the environment’ is closed to new topics and replies.