3D editable hotspot failure

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Graphical editing 3D editable hotspot failure

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hello,
      James Murray and I scripted a simple 2D/3D regular polygon object. It is stretchy via three editable hotspots in 2D and 3D. Everything is working fine except for one of the 3D hotspots. When zoomed in close to the opject it appears to fail altogether. But when you zoom way out you can see the edit point is projected onto an editing plane in an illogical location. Is there any way to fix this?

Object and image attached.

Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

James Murray
      Participant

Yes, I have lately seen this regularly though not always, including AC18. I haven’t observed a pattern, but I have seen the behavior in a fresh object consisting of not much more than a single editing hotspot. Geoff’s attachment is a good, simple example of what seems to be a bug.

James M

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Hi,

I downloaded the object and tried it many times with all the hotspots and different zooms but could not reproduce this issue. Did it happen on windows or mac or both? Which main versions and builds did you try?

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

James Murray
      Participant

Mac 5005.

James M

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Win 5005

I can change the editing plane to horizontal once the stretch has begun (right click or editing plane grip), after which the stretch is as expected. But it reverts to the weird editing plane for the next edit.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

I fussed with the object by commenting out various hotspot combinations and managed to break both the Side Length hotspots. Restarting AC and I’m back to square one (2 working, one failing).

One thing to note: when the error occurs the 3D origin is mistakenly oriented with Y in the Z direction. You can see this in James’ screen shot.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

After further investigation I have discovered this error is not dependent on the location or orientation of the hotspots but is the result of how the object is viewed in the 3D window. In this case, view the polygon from the top and all hotspots work fine. View it from a moderately tilted viewpoint and one or more hotspots may fail. View it from a very shallow angle and the hotspots will surely fail.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Graphical editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.