AC22 new Label fixed parameters

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Documentation elements, text handling AC22 new Label fixed parameters

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff Briggs
      Participant

I am updating my labels and markers to use the new AC22 text handling parameters, and the new options to lock/hide the fixed params in the Pointer, Symbol Label and Text Style settings panels. It’s going pretty well. I’m still learning how all the new params work, but the consistency and level of control is a nice improvement.

Question 1: You can lock most of these settings now, but I can’t figure out if I can lock the Add/Remove Pointer button (Pointer panel). Some custom labels never want a pointer.

Question 2: Is there access to the Use Text Pen as Uniform Pen check box (Symbol Label panel)? This setting does nothing in my custom labels so I presume I need to code that.

Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Here is a follow on to my second question above. The following code snippet draws a simple line with an arrow on one end. They are both drawn using the same pen. When I check “Use Text Pen as Uniform Pen” the line pen automatically changes to the text pen but the arrow pen does not. Not sure why.

PEN AC_LabelPointerPen
      ArSz=((ArSz/2.835)/1000*glob_scale)*1.9		!Points

IF LABEL_ROTANGLE >90 AND LABEL_ROTANGLE <=270 THEN ROT2 180

HOTSPOT2 -A/2, 0
      HOTSPOT2 0, 0
      HOTSPOT2 A/2, 0

LINE2 -A/2, 0, A/2-ArSz, 0
      HOTLINE2 -A/2, 0, A/2, 0

FILL GLOB_FILL_INDEX_SOLID

ADD2 A/2, 0

POLY2 3,6,
      	-ArSz,(ArSz*.28),
      	-ArSz,-(ArSz*.28)

DEL TOP

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Dominika Bobály
      Keymaster

Hey Geoff,
      first, it is lovely to hear you like the new additions of text handling.
      Here goes:
      1. Add/Remove Pointer locking: this was left out intentionally, by design. We did not want to create a parameter for Pointer control, we kept it as a Global variable (with a more suitable name), therefore no locking option. The automatic pointer-drawing function is one of the basic features of any label, can make a symbol label work similar to Text/Autotext Labels. Also, keeping it out of the parameter list saves the trouble caoused by multi-selection. Usually we script our symbol labels to have a simpler text format suitable for the Pointer ON version, too, and it is recommended you do the same.
      2. The basic idea long ago was to have this “Uniform Pen” to overwrite in display all pen settings of an element. It is supposed to work as you expect it: to deal with the poly2 contours and fill pens as well. This is a bug, thanks for letting us know about it.

Dominika Bobály
      Product Manager
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Ho Dominika,
      thanks for the prompt response.

I guess I’m glad #2 is a bug. At least I’m not missing something obvious in my script.

Regarding #1, when you say “Usually we script our symbol labels to have a simpler text format suitable for the Pointer ON version”, do you mean that you run an alternate script when the pointer is ON? If so how do you detect its ON/OFF state?

Thanks again.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Piotr Dobrowolski
      Participant

Check the state of LABEL_HAS_POINTER fixed parameter. (look for this condition in the standard labels…so to not move the label from inserton point if no pointer as well)

Piotr

Dominika Bobály
      Keymaster

Piotr is right, the new global variable LABEL_HAS_PONTER provides info about the pointer on/off state. We use that in the condition for the 2 symbol types.
      It is the same as the old (deprecated) LABEL_CUSTOM_ARROW – but the meaning is reversed (OFF used to mean value 1 in the old global, and now it returns 0, and vice-versa).

Dominika Bobály
      Product Manager
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Thank you Piotr and Dominika,
      I will incorporate that into my labels.

I still think it would be useful to offer a way to disable the pointer button. We have quite a number of labels that are simple shapes with some kind of text inside that never use a leader or pointer. Of course I save favorites with the pointer turned off, but it would be great if I could lock that state.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

More on the inconsistent application of “Use Text Pen as Uniform Pen”. I have another label where the override does work on POLY2_Bs. I tried swithchng my first label from POLY2 to POLY2_B but that did not fix it. So I have no idea when it is applied, just that you cannot trust it.

Also I see that “Use Text Pen as Uniform Pen” does not override the built in pointer line or arrow. I seems like it should. That’s what “uniform” means after all.

If this feature cannot be made to work it should be removed.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

I have discovered a couple of bugs related to the new label parameters:

1) If you LOCK AC_LabelPointerLineType and/or AC_LabelPointerConnection they appear gray in the settings dialog but not in the info box.

2) When the working units are set to imperial (inches or feet & inches) the label next to Frame Offset parameter still shows “mm” instead of “Pt”. The info box is correct.

3) In the GDL Reference Guide page 455, AC_bLabelFrame is describes as an integer when it should be a Boolean.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Dominika Bobály
        Keymaster

Thanks for the notes Geoff, we have these ones already on our todo list.
        Let us know if you find something else we missed!

Dominika Bobály
        Product Manager
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

Hi Dominika,
      I’m happy to hear you are aware of the bugs and are working on a fix. Thanks.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Documentation elements, text handling’ is closed to new topics and replies.