LoD settings

Home Forums General discussions LoD settings

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristian Bursell
      Participant

Can we get a universal solution (parameter name and values) for applied LoD settings.
      Currently we have the gs_detlevel_3D parameter which i’m sure we could continue to use but it would be nice to have the values as Lod 100, Lod 200 and so on.
      I regularly do manufacturers content and I think it is important to include LoD settings but I don’t want to start using parameters and values for this that no one else is using, for obvious reasons.
      I obviously plan to use this function through MVO’s also so a universal function prescribed by GS would be great. Should I just use the gs_detlevel_3D with new values (“LoD 100”, “LoD 200” etc.)?

Thanks

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

You’re right, it would be much better if we had a common parameter for detail level settings for all the elements, but unfortunately we do not have. It would be a quite big project to do that for all the elements with proper migration, and it is on my list but I don’t think it will be released soon. 🙁
      Now mostly we use the gs_detlevel_3d/gs_detlevel_3d_m parameter pair, with the values “Detailed”, “Simple” and “Off”.

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Geoff Briggs
      Participant

This is important to me too. I find the current situation a mess. When the LoD MVO options were introduced I noticed a big difference between the US Lib, which offers three LoDs, and the INT which has five that are very confusing. What’s worse is even with the five levels I cannot achieve the look I want or get doors to match windows.

Given the emergent BIM standards at least three levels is required for most objects. Do we ever need more than that?

I also see that the Library Part Maker tool released to the UK market is set up for three as well, presumably to match the new standards there, but has it’s own MVO panel, which is a shame.

We need a concerted effort to standardize the naming and control scheme while at the same time preserving flexibility as to what sub-elements are included in each LoD. I propose a standardized MVO panel that all objects can utilize. Pair that to a new common UI page in object settings dedicated to LoD that would contain the general (local vs MVO) settings as well as way to assign LoD to specific sub-elements. For example, a window would have assignment options for frame, sash, trim, and sill

Thanks for listening.

Geoff Briggs
      DeForest Architects
      Seattle, USA

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.