Interface image clarity

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Bruce Walker
      Participant

I’ve created images to use in the interface I’m writing, but for some reason the edges are all jagged when I bring them into ArchiCAD. They are nice and smooth when I view them in Windows (or import them into, say, Excel). What is the trick?

www.brucepwalker.com
      https://www.mindmeister.com/65450406

AC20 6005 AUS Full & AC 21 3009 NZE Full | Win 10 Pro 64 | Intel i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz | 16 Gb RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 8Mb

Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

I think, the size in pixel of the image must be the same in the User Interface as in the original image file. You can measure this with a screen capture application. If it is to small, you must widen the Infields.

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Bruce Walker
      Participant

Thanks Joachim. I have tried adjusting the image size in the user interface, but this has no real effect on the pixelation.

www.brucepwalker.com

AC20 6005 AUS Full & AC 21 3009 NZE Full | Win 10 Pro 64 | Intel i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz | 16 Gb RAM

Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

Please post your Script for the UI_INFIELD and the original size of the image.

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Bruce Walker
      Participant

This is the code:

UI_INFIELD{3} “sentry_type”, ui_x1, ui_y, 270, ui_selection_h,
      2, “Sayfa SENTRY Guardrail”, 2, 1,
      144, 100, 136, 80,
      sentry_concrete, type_sentry[sentry_concrete], type_sentry[sentry_concrete],
      sentry_metal, type_sentry[sentry_metal], type_sentry[sentry_metal]

And the image referred is attached.

www.brucepwalker.com

Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

Your Pictures size value of 136,80 should be half the size of the picture, as I think.
      If I do this, the captured screenshot of the UI matches with the picture, in your script not.

ui_x1 = 1
      ui_y = 1
      ui_selection_h = 100

UI_INFIELD{3} "sentry_type", ui_x1, ui_y, 160, ui_selection_h,
      		2, "Sayfa-SENTRY-Guardrail", 2, 1, 
      		160, 100, 144, 80,
      		sentry_concrete, type_sentry[sentry_concrete], type_sentry[sentry_concrete],
      		sentry_metal, type_sentry[sentry_metal], type_sentry[sentry_metal]

Although the edges are still jagged a bit, they are absolutely identical to the picture you loaded up.

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Bruce Walker
      Participant

Thanks Joachim. I’m clearly getting something wrong with my images. I can’t figure out how to get them nice and sharp – as is the case in, for example, “Hood 19”

www.brucepwalker.com

Dominika Bobály
        Keymaster

Joachim is right about picture size: the displayed size should match the original width and height (this case, since it’s a 2 picture matrix, half size should be appropriate) most of the time. The original picture looks jagged if I just open it in Finder Preview on Mac. It’s more of a picture editing question than GDL, I think. We got the Hoods right in the Library, but if you take a closer look to the door handle popup images, you can see some jagged lines there as well (they are not prefect at all). You may try to save a double sized original picture with better resolution (so it has smaller visible pixelation at the slanted edges), and scale it to half size in the command’s image_x, image_y parameters. That may help a bit. Using .png format is recommended as well instead of .tif.

Dominika Bobály
        Product Manager
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Bruce Walker
      Participant

Thanks Dominika. I tried your suggestion of both png & making image twice as large. Neither made an improvement.

However, if, in your experience, this is the appearance that can be expected, then I am satisfied. I was just comparing my interface with GS’ interfaces, and mine seemed to be lacking, and I thought perhaps there was a trick I was missing.

Thanks all for your help.

www.brucepwalker.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Graphical UI and parameters list’ is closed to new topics and replies.