WALL_​​COMPS_​​NAME not being recognised from verion 17 onwards

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL Doors and windows WALL_​COMPS_​NAME not being recognised from verion 17 onwards

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry Kelly
      Participant

I have a GDL problem so I thought I would try the new forum.

In my window objects I check the WALL_COMPS_NAME to determine the name of wall and therefore the modular sizes that my windows snap to (i.e. a predetermined list of standard sizes based on the type of wall).
      I have had no problem with this until version 17.

In the GDL editor it uses the default setting in the wall tool for the WALL_COMPS_NAME.
      So it is working fine there.

Only when I want to place the window and I open the default settings dialogue then it is not recognising the default wall name in the default wall tool settings.
      It has done this perfectly up to version 16.

Once the window is place in a wall and I open the settings for that window then it is recognising the wall name just fine.

Does anyone know how I can determine the current wall name as set in the wall tool when I open the default window settings ready to place a new window?

I know that when placing a new window it doesn’t yet belong to a wall but it used to used the default wall tool settings – now it doesn’t.

Hopefully the attached images might help describe what I mean.
      I have simply added the command … TEXT2 0,0, WALL_COMPS_NAME … to the 2D script of a window to test what is happening.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Seems I could only add two images.
      Here are the others.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22
      Dell Precision M6800 - i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro M6100 (2GB), Windows 7 64bit

Ben Cohen
      Participant

Hi Barry

New forum, wow….

Have you tried a ‘fixed named optional parameter’?

ac_wall_profile_name

This may work?

Barry Kelly
      Participant

Unfortunately not.
      Apart from the fact I can only get the name of complex profile walls (composite walls just come up ‘N/A’) it suffers from the same issue that a default (new) window does not yet belong to a wall so doesn’t get the wall name.
      This is understandable but it used to use the default wall name in version 16 and before.
      Why can it not do the same now?
      When scripting it assumes the wall default still so why can’t it for a new window?

I have gotten around the problem by scripting in a parameter where the user can choose the brick type for a new window just so they can get the correct sizes but it will then automatically use the correct wall type once placed in a wall.
      This just allows the user to set the correct size before placing the window rather than place the window, get the wrong size and then have to fix it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 22

Heimo Mooslechner
      Participant

I have explored similar issues on my new freeform-Window with

WSBN[ii]=WALL_SKINS_BMAT_NAMES[ii][1] !building material

Thats what i am writing about:

Youtube description of the problem

In the meantime, i figured aut, that it seems to be simply locked by Graphisoft, to read out the building materials – but just for 3d. In 2D ist is possible to use the commands and it works perfect but in 3 D – no way!

WSBN[ii]=WALL_SKINS_BMAT_NAMES[ii][1]            !building material 

t = REQUEST{2} ("Building_Material_info", WSBN[ii], "gs_bmat_surface", surface[ii])  !!GDL-manual german S378 
      r = REQUEST ("Name_of_material", surface[ii], name[ii]) 

I tried the code above in the masterscript – which works for both 2D and 3D-scripts – but it makes different results.

Very bad! It took me hours to find out and to really belive it!!

Why is this made this way by Graphisoft? Is this one of the intern not really documented “policys” do make it really hard to script good library-Parts?

I hope someone from Graphisoft reads this and feels my …. disappointment… Shocked

Who is the woman or man there -the BOSS of GDL at Graphisoft – who makes such decicions – i really would like to get in contact directly!

Please – if You read this, “GDL-Boss” – Yes – You – write back here “in the open”, come into the discussion – take part – please!

To try – AC19EduAut – grman –

Dropbox-Link of the file

german Vido deeper in this topic:

diffrent beavour 2D-3D-Script

Teacher in HTL-Salzburg
      AC5-19, Win and Mac
      GDL hobby developer

Gergely Fehér
        Keymaster

Heimo,

WALL_SKINS_BMAT_NAMES works only in 2d, as it was developed for labeling purposes – it is a bug in the manual that it said it works in 3D too. In a future version 3D functionality can be added to this global. Now I corrected the online version of the reference guide to make it clear.
        In 3D you can use WALL_MAT_A and WALL_MAT_B for the wall surfaces.

Gergely Fehér
        Team Leader, Library Team
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Heimo Mooslechner
      Participant

The deafening silence what had happend in all the forums i tried – since my post in this topic seems to tell me – no-one at Graphisoft has an answer to my two Questions. Its a little indictment for Graphisoft.. To answer such topics time-near should be everydays buissness – but to keep silence so long…

Maybe they should implement a solution for this in further AC-Versions. rolling eyes..

Teacher in HTL-Salzburg
      AC5-19, Win and Mac
      GDL hobby developer

Heimo Mooslechner
      Participant

Thanks for Your reply – sorry for my rude writing – but i really was a little upset for loosing hours for looking at any possible error i may have made by myself. I found out the “In 3D you can use WALL_MAT_A and WALL_MAT_B for the wall surfaces.” by myself in the meantime – But thanks.

Maybe i work in the wrong direction with my freeform-multiwindow..

I got an code from “sinseV6” = esteban ramos from Architalk-forum – which made it possible to create 2D+3D polygones with a growing ammount of segments – open and closed.

I tried to use this as background for several GDL-Objects and now, i thougt it would be time to use my collected knowledge about this on a freeform Window-Opening.

I took this Polygone-koordinates to a wallhole-command and it worked fine. My problem here is the tube command.

I used the tube to follow the polygone-path with using a series of put and get-commands. (The tube allows to do this without calculating parallel points to the polygone in GDL-what is to hard for me -i tried it and failed.)
      So it was possible, to make the window-frame follow the opening-polygone and that worked also fine…

BUT – when i tried to make the outer-wall-plaster and the warming-insulation reach over the window-frame for simulation of a Layer-feed (german “Schichteinzug” – hope its translated correctly) – i had no chance to get the Tube without a line between the Wallhole and the tube. I found out how to supress the wallhole-Line, but the tubeline was too hard for me to supress.

So – there is still a line between my additional plaster-tube and the wallhole – and i thoght – there should be an automatic within Archicad – that same surfaces elliminate lines between elements the same way it does between walls and slabs?

With tube it does not work.

My question – would it be better – instead of using tube for getting a graded wallhole – to use some kind of other usage of wallniche-command or other solution for this kind of wallopening? How are the wallopening-gradings of library-Part – windowopenings made? Its so hard to find the correct script containing these things in the Archicad-Library.

For Your tryout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afdhmlwoi6td0y3/Multifenster8_12_2015.pln?dl=0

and a Youtube-tutorial in german (just turn the sound off if german is not the right..):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzkindxTceQ

Teacher in HTL-Salzburg
      AC5-19, Win and Mac
      GDL hobby developer

Gergely Fehér
        Keymaster

Heimo,

You should cut the exact size and form of the wallhole you need. You can check the WallholeCut macro in the library – that simple macro creates all the magic about wallholes for our library.
        To be able to create smaller polygons for cutting the wall, you can use the PolyOperations addon, which helps you modifying polygons.

Gergely Fehér
        Team Leader, Library Team
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Doors and windows’ is closed to new topics and replies.