Writing to a text file

Home Forums Problems and solutions in GDL GDL add-ons Writing to a text file

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      James Goode
      Participant

Hello,

I want to be able to write parameter values to a text document and then read those values in another object. Is this possible? If so, how can I achieve this. I have found the OPEN, INPUT, OUTPUT functions in the GDL Reference Guide but they don’t really go into specifics and a bit more guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael Herse
      Participant

A good starting point would be to have a look at the example script and files here https://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-read-and-write-text-files.

Cheers,
      Michael.

James Goode
      Participant

I’ve had a go using that as a base but I can’t get my write code to work. Here it is;

ch1 = OPEN ("TEXT", "TEST123", "separator = ' ', MODE = WO")

string = "12345"
      OUTPUT ch1, 1, 0, string 
      Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Hi,

reading and writing to files from GDL is only good for communication with external programs.

The problem with communication between library parts is that the order in which the scripts run is not deterministic. There is no guarantee that the current parameters will be written to the file before the other libpart will try to read it.

The only way for communication between library parts is to write an Add-on that sets and reads parameters of the library parts based on their subtype.
      This is beyond GDL, C++ programming experience is required. You can join the API developer community at https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/start.

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

James Goode
      Participant

I understand that it isn’t a perfect solution but it’s something that may be suitable for what we need. Can you point me in the right direction in terms of my code and why it’s not writing to the file?

Péter Baksa
      Keymaster

Try adding close ch1, maybe the data will be written only then. I haven’t tried it, just guessing.

Péter Baksa
      Library Platform, Software Engineer
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

James, with your script the file is written into a special folder, which differs from Mac to Windows.
      Maybe you did not find it (on Mac it is placed within the Library Folder). You could try to wrie the file in a special directory (use the keyword FULLPATH).
      Some good examples of writing and raeding text files you can find in the GDL Cookbook 3, including the saving of parameter values.

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GDL add-ons’ is closed to new topics and replies.