XML Extension

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kristian Bursell 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

Kristian Bursell
    Participant

A few examples of traversing the XML ‘tree’ would be greatly appreciated.
    I can get the results I want but feel that there are a few too many steps in the paths I map. As it is always crucial to map data in the most efficient methods I think a few best practice tips would be really beneficial here.
    can you provide a few example of moving between nodes.

thanks

CADSWIFT
    Australia

Gergely Fehér
    Keymaster

Thanks for the topic Kristian, I put it on the list. I’m afraid it will take a while before we can release a post about it, as we have limited resources.

Gergely Fehér
    Team Leader, Library Team
    GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Bursell
    Participant

Thanks Gergely, I completely understand the time it may take and never expected a quick response. It would be so useful that I am happy to wait and can get by for now anyway.
    hopefully responses don’t rely purely on your resources and some of our fellow GDLers can share their knowledge. If I ever get time to really pull it apart to create more efficient mapping then I will document as I go and post it.

CADSWIFT
    Australia

Csilla Mai
      Keymaster

Hi Kristian,

A new post has been created about the XML Extension in the Tips And Tricks section: How to use the GDL XML Add-On?. It contains a basic example about listing the parameter descriptions and values of an xml file. If you would like to see a more complex example then please send your request to gdlcenter@graphisoft.com. We will check it before long and may release a new post about it.

Csilla Mai
      Library Developer, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Bursell
    Participant

Thank you Csilla,

I will email through my request with a bit of detail shortly.

CADSWIFT
    Australia

Kristian Bursell
    Participant

Thank you for the information in Tips and Tricks it is very useful.

I am now struggling a little with the OUTPUT function of the XML Add-on.
    I have manage to modify the XML file with OUTPUT and a bit of testing help me to understand the navigation aspect, which as you know is done using the INPUT commands as describe in Tips and Tricks.
    The issue i cannot resolve is how to get the OUTPUT function to create a new line in the XML file. Using the only 4 options available (AsNextSibling/AsPreviousSibling/AsFirstChild/AsLastChild) only allows me to write on the same line as the Position Description. Can I get it to create a new line or do I have to come up with a different XML structure?

I’m using the ‘Copy’ function so perhaps if i had a specific character in the XML file that got copied in this function perhaps that would somehow create my new line for me?

thanks,
    Kristian

CADSWIFT
    Australia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.