XML Extension

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristian Bursell
      Participant

A few examples of traversing the XML ‘tree’ would be greatly appreciated.
      I can get the results I want but feel that there are a few too many steps in the paths I map. As it is always crucial to map data in the most efficient methods I think a few best practice tips would be really beneficial here.
      can you provide a few example of moving between nodes.

thanks

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Gergely Fehér
      Keymaster

Thanks for the topic Kristian, I put it on the list. I’m afraid it will take a while before we can release a post about it, as we have limited resources.

Gergely Fehér
      Team Leader, Library Team
      GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Bursell
      Participant

Thanks Gergely, I completely understand the time it may take and never expected a quick response. It would be so useful that I am happy to wait and can get by for now anyway.
      hopefully responses don’t rely purely on your resources and some of our fellow GDLers can share their knowledge. If I ever get time to really pull it apart to create more efficient mapping then I will document as I go and post it.

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Csilla Mai
        Keymaster

Hi Kristian,

A new post has been created about the XML Extension in the Tips And Tricks section: How to use the GDL XML Add-On?. It contains a basic example about listing the parameter descriptions and values of an xml file. If you would like to see a more complex example then please send your request to gdlcenter@graphisoft.com. We will check it before long and may release a new post about it.

Csilla Mai
        Library Developer, Library Team
        GRAPHISOFT SE

Kristian Bursell
      Participant

Thank you Csilla,

I will email through my request with a bit of detail shortly.

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Kristian Bursell
      Participant

Thank you for the information in Tips and Tricks it is very useful.

I am now struggling a little with the OUTPUT function of the XML Add-on.
      I have manage to modify the XML file with OUTPUT and a bit of testing help me to understand the navigation aspect, which as you know is done using the INPUT commands as describe in Tips and Tricks.
      The issue i cannot resolve is how to get the OUTPUT function to create a new line in the XML file. Using the only 4 options available (AsNextSibling/AsPreviousSibling/AsFirstChild/AsLastChild) only allows me to write on the same line as the Position Description. Can I get it to create a new line or do I have to come up with a different XML structure?

I’m using the ‘Copy’ function so perhaps if i had a specific character in the XML file that got copied in this function perhaps that would somehow create my new line for me?

thanks,
      Kristian

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Michael Herse
      Participant

Hi Kristian

Did you ever work out how to create a new line? I’m just starting to play around with the XML Extension, and having new Children and Siblings that I write to the XML file on new lines would make interrogating my results much easier. Currently everything is just on 1 line, making the xml difficult to read when I open it in Xcode.

Cheers,
      Michael.

Kristian Bursell
      Participant

Hi Michael,

No i didn’t and i don’t believe it is possible. lines in XML don’t actually mean anything and are just convenient formatting (as you probably know).
      The way i do it is i set up a sample of the structure i want and then using GDL I copy this structure and then populate the copy. feel free to call (0412 781 769) if you want to discuss it further.

CADSWIFT
      Australia

Joachim Sühlo
      Participant

Michael, you can use a tool like this (for expanding the code on separate lines):
      https://www.freeformatter.com/xml-formatter.html

GDL Object Developer
      b-prisma
      MAC OSx 10.14

Michael Herse
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys, especially your offer of assistance Kristian. The tool that Joachim posted is all I need for the time being.

Cheers,
      Michael.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GDL add-ons’ is closed to new topics and replies.